Tuesday, April 7, 2015
It's Crunch Time for Campers
Crisp and crunchy celery is one of the healthiest snacks you can serve in camp. It’s so versatile, I usually buy two or three stalks at a time to serve in many ways, cooked and raw. Use these ideas to make a colorful platter of stuffed celery, carrot sticks, pickles and such. Trim celery and stuff with:
* 8-ounce brick of cream cheese mixed with a 4-ounce tub of crumbled blue cheese
* A mashed banana mixed with extra-crunchy peanut butter
* Grated cheddar cheese moistened with mayonnaise. Add a small jar of drained, diced pimentos.
* For the kids, marshmallow fluff studded with raisins
* Egg salad or ham salad from the deli
* Boursin cheese or hummus from the deli
* Cream cheese mixed with finely chopped smoked salmon and a few capers
* Well-drained crushed pineapple mixed with shredded coconut and cream cheese
* Blue cheese moistened with mayonnaise and mixed with chopped walnuts
* Mash packaged grated carrots into a softened brick of cream cheese and season sparingly with ground ginger
* Moisten softened cream cheese with a little ketchup, spread in celery and top each with a strip of anchovy
* Nutella mixed with chopped hazelnuts
* CheezWiz mixed with drained, chopped, stuffed olives and just a hint of curry powder
* Stuff with softened cream cheese and run a knife down the center to make a tiny ditch. Fill it with hot sauce.
What’s your favorite celery filling? Leave a comment.
See more of Janet Groene’s RV-ready recipes at http://www.CampandRVCook.blogspot.com