Toaster ovens – in case you haven’t noticed, they now do a lot more than toast bagels and heat up TV dinners! The newer models have increased capacities, are easier to clean and most maintain cooler exteriors than their older counterparts. Some can function as convection ovens and a few even come with rotisserie attachments. The modern toaster oven could be the quintessential small appliance for RVers. Here are some reasons to consider one for your home-on-wheels:
- They are portable. (For those who are not full-timers, our recommendation is to get one good quality toaster oven for use in both the sticks-and-bricks house and in the RV.)
- They won’t heat up the entire RV on a hot day.
- They are easily moved outside (to the “Kitchen Annex”) and can be used pretty much anywhere there is an electrical outlet.
- They take up less space than a conventional oven.
- They preheat quickly (usually in 5 minutes or less).
- They use far less energy than their full-size propane or electric counterparts.
- They are extremely efficient for cooking small quantities.
- Most of the newer models are easy to clean.
If you are simply looking for a way to make toast for breakfast, a decent basic toaster will take up less space and is generally less expensive than an upscale toaster oven. On the other hand, if variety at meal times is an important part of your RVing experience, a good quality toaster oven might be just the thing to take your culinary efforts to the next level!